Navy Week is making its way back to Fargo and this year’s celebration features a full lineup of in-person events with something for everyone. Sailors are in town July 19-25, 2021 to take part in events spread throughout Fargo and the surrounding communities. This outreach mission is to build and strengthen community relations with the U.S. Navy and the citizens of Fargo, Moorhead, and West Fargo and deepen the community’s appreciation of the Navy’s importance to national security.
Since 2005, the Navy Week program has served as the Navy's principal outreach effort into areas of the country without a significant Navy presence, with 250 Navy Weeks held in 80 different US cities. The program is designed to help Americans understand that their Navy is deployed around the world, around the clock, ready to defend America at all times. Navy Weeks focus a variety of outreach assets, equipment and personnel in a single city for a week-long series of engagements with key influencers and organizations representing all sectors of the market. 75-100 outreach events are coordinated during a Navy Week with corporate, civic, government, education, media, veterans, community service and diversity organizations within the host city.
The Fargo Park District is proud to participate in Fargo Navy Week by including Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal technicians, sailors from USS North Dakota (SSN 784), Navy History and Heritage Command, Navy Reserve sailors from Fargo’s Navy Operational Support Center (NOSC), and sailors from USS Constitution – the oldest commissioned warship afloat in the world – in a variety of Fargo Park District events. Our events are free and open to the public. Fargo Park District events that are a part of Fargo Navy Week include:
TUESDAY, JULY 20
- Gathering on Tuesday | 4:30-7:30 pm |Longfellow Park, Fargo
- Sailors from USS Constitution, USS North Dakota and Navy History and Heritage Command are taking part in the evening’s activities. This week’s focus is “Winter in July” with sailors taking part in the winter-themed fun.
- Pop-Up Aqua Class | 6:00-7:00 pm |Island Park Pool, Fargo
- Sailors from Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group One lead a special Navy bootcamp version of this week’s Pop-Up Aqua Class.
THURSDAY, JULY 22
- Movies at the Square: ND Voices Series “Transformers” |6:00-10:00 pm | Broadway Square
- From 6:00-7:00 pm before the movie starts, the Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group One is at Broadway Square with their bomb suit and robot and assisting with movie trivia.
- At 7:00 pm, the showing of the movie “Transformers” (2007) begins. Sailors from EOD, Navy Operational Support Center Fargo Reserve Component and USS North Dakota will attend the movie and engage with the audience.
FRIDAY, JULY 23
- Family Fitness Friday | 9:00-10:00 am | Broadway Square
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group One lead a special Navy bootcamp version of the weekly fitness class.
- Navy Band Great Lakes Performance | 6:00-7:00 pm | Broadway Square
- Open air concert featuring “Side Boys,” an acoustic Brass Band ensemble which performs a wide range of musical genres spanning from traditional New Orleans-style jazz to modern-day popular music. “Side Boys” is the most versatile ensemble within Navy Band Great Lakes.