Since 1910, the Fargo Park Board has been committed to providing quality recreational and leisure services at an affordable price to improve the quality of life for all residents of Fargo. What started as a patch of land has flourished into a citywide visual treat. With over 2,100 acres of land, the Fargo Park District takes pride in planting and maintaining the beautiful green space and facilities of Fargo. This includes numerous parks, trails, complexes, golf courses and camping. The impact of the Fargo Park District goes far beyond green grass and pretty flowers. We also offer over 1,000 programs and over 70 special events, impacting the community in many different ways.
The Fargo Park District has an elected committee of five board members. Meeting both in small committees and monthly as an entire board, they discuss current issues facing the district and establish district policies. The day to day operations are managed by the Executive Director of Parks and Recreation. The district itself is divided into the Business Office, Recreation Department, Parks Department, Cultural Activities Department, Valley Senior Services and Courts Plus Community Fitness.
Our Mission is to provide quality recreational and leisure services at an affordable price to improve the quality of life for all residents of Fargo.
Assist in creating a healthy community where residents are able to learn good decisions through our recreational and educational family-based programs.
Historical Facts & Milestones
- The Fargo Park District offices are located in the old Northern Pacific Passenger Depot which was built in 1898.
- First Board Members were elected October 11, 1910.
- First Board Meeting was held on November 1, 1910.
- Island Park was the first park in Fargo.
- In 1910 the Fargo Park District started with only one park with Fargo’s population at 14,000.
- Lindenwood Campground was established in 1921.
- Dill Hill got its name from Dill Hall, the building that sat atop the hill built in 1908.
- Edgewood Golf Course Opened in 1926: It cost $0.25 for three times around the five hole course.
- A 140 foot high ski jump was built in 1935 west of a farm, now Trollwood Park.
- In the 1950 the life guard staff at Island Park put on an annual water show. They had clown acts, synchronized swimming, diving and dancing.
- In 1951 there were 12 parks and nearly fifty years later in 2010 the Park District had 94 parks.
- On a Tuesday in July 1956 there was an attendance record set of 4,022 swimmers breaking the Monday before record of 3,757.
- In 1957 at Lewis and Clark, Washington School, Goldenridge site and Chaney Field the Park District installed ice skating rinks, hockey rinks and playgrounds.
- In 1958 admission prices for the Island Park Pool were 10 cents for children under 12 or $4.00 for a season ticket. 12 to 18 year olds were 15 cents or $5.00 for a season ticket. Adults were $0.25 or $7.00 for a season ticket.
- November of 1958 the Harry Howland pool was completed.
- Construction began in 1964 on a 9 hole golf course at El Zagal. August 1965 the course was opened.
- Mickelson Field ground breaking ceremony was held in May 1965.
- First woman elected to the Park Board in April of 1966. Her name was Gladys Johansen.
- In May 1976 ground was broke to start construction for the Prairiewood Golf Course.
- In 1978, the Lindenwood bike bridge was installed.
- Fargo’s smallest park today is Ole Tangen Park with only .076 acres and the largest developed park is Lindenwood with 89.61 acres.
- Island Park Pool was once located at the current Scherling Complex Tennis Courts.