Location: Area Ice Arenas
Dates: September-February (Three Sessions)
Register Online! For specific dates, times and registration information click the Registration button at the top of any page.
This is a program for beginning and intermediate level youth skaters. We will be teaching basic beginner skating skills while integrating beginning hockey skills. Skaters will gain basic forward and backward skating skills along with balance skills, hockey starts, stops and turns.
- In order to complete Beginner 1 Level 1 the skater must be able to:
- Falling & recovery
- Proper forward and backward stance
- March forward across the ice, 8-10 steps
- March forward with 2 foot glides and dips
- Stationary snowplow stop
- Forward swizzles (2 to 4 in a row)
- Front to back and back to front turns (stationary)
- T-push right, glide on two feet on line, repeat with t-push left
- Rocking horse
- Backward march or wiggle
- In order to complete Beginner 2 Level 2 the skater must be able to:
- Forward swizzles (4 to 6 in a row) driving power from heels using a wider stance
- Alternating forward c-cuts on a straight line
- T-push, glide on right foot, hold 2-4 seconds on a straight line, repeat with left foot
- Scooting or skateboard push, on circle (r & l)
- Glide two foot turn on line-forward to backward - backward to forward
- Backward march, then glide on two feet
- Backward swizzles (2 to 4 in a row)
- Backward snowplow stop
- Alternating backward c-cuts in a straight line
- Two foot moving snowplow stop
- In order to complete Intermediate Level 3 the skater must be able to:
- One foot snowplow stop - introduce hips with 1/4 turn twist to hockey stop
- Full strides using 45 decgree v-push with good recovery using alternating arm drive
- Shuffle stride-explosive powerful alternating heel pushes
- Backwards hustle (quick skating with arms driving)
- Backward c-cuts or power pushes on circle / backward outside edge glide on a circle
- Forward c-cuts on a circle small / c-push glide on a small circle
- Forward outside / inside edges on half circles / alternating inside edges down the line
- Gliding 2 foot turn on circle facing upper body out and inside of circle
- Lateral crossover march
- In order to complete Intermediate Level 4 the skater must be able to:
- Shuffle stride vary tempo and edge quality / quick shallow edge pumps & slow deep edge pumps
- Forward crossovers on circle (r & l)
- Forward power-turns 180 degrees & 360 degree turns will need c-cuts for 360 degrees turns will need c-cuts for 360 degrees
- Hockey stops
- Quick starts with v starts off the ball of the foot
- Backward crossovers on circle (r &l )
- Backward alternating crossovers down ice with wide step transitions
- Forward to backward pivot turn / backward to forward pivot turn (mohawk)
- Anyone may register now for any ONE session of lessons.
- You may register for two classes per session.
- To sign up for an additional session, you must wait until the session you are currently in has ended, allowing you to register for the next appropriate level. This also allows everyone the opportunity to register and participate in at least one session.
Skaters may come in full hockey gear. However, no sticks are allowed for the beginner 1 and beginner 2 levels. Intermediate level participants should bring their own sticks.