Starting in 2018, the Fargo Park District has a full-time dedicated Park Officer supplied by the Fargo Police Department. The Park Officer is responsible for maintaining law and order in Fargo parks and other Park District properties while maintaining public safety. The officer enforces all local, state and federal laws as necessary to ensure the safety and security of the public and property within the Fargo Park District.
In 2020, the Fargo Park District purchased a fully electric police motorcycle with the assistance of grants from Cass County Electric Cooperative and the North Dakota Department of Commerce. This specialized vehicle allows the Park Officer better access to remote locations and trails while also improving public outreach and crime reduction efforts.
The Park Officer supervises all aspects of law enforcement in Fargo parks, including foot patrols, community education, and crime prevention. Daily functions of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Be present and visible in parks to discourage violations; issue warnings and citations if observing violations.
- Perform daily inspections of property, equipment, and vehicles to ensure that it is safe and secure.
- Enforce North Dakota law such as traffic violations, public intoxication or other illegal/ unsafe conditions within the Fargo Park District property.
- Maintain records of violations which are reported to the supervisor for review.
- Visually inspect parks and surrounding buildings to ensure it is safe and secure.
- Check on intrusion, building inspections, hold up, fire alarms and reset non- credible alarms.
- Oversee motor vehicle and pedestrian traffic when required.
- Respond to emergency situations including accidents, fires, violent/ dangerous situations, and injured persons. Provides first aid and emergency medical care until medical personal are available. May also be required to preserve evidence depending on the situation.
- Develop, communicate and enforce Park security policies and procedures.
If you or someone you know has witnessed a crime or has any information regarding a crime that has taken place at a Fargo Park District park, facility or event, we would appreciate your help. For immediate police assistance, please call 911 or 701-451-7660 for non-emergencies. You may also submit anonymous information through the Fargo Police Department here.