Monday, June 1, 2020
The Fargo Park District is committed to the health and safety of our community. Fargo Parks continues to monitor COVID-19 (coronavirus disease) concerns, work with state and local health officials and will follow recommended guidance as it becomes available.
While these conditions may change, as of Monday, June 1, 2020, here are the following updates for Fargo Park District, Courts Plus and Valley Senior Services programs, events and facilities:
Public Facilities & Playgrounds
Playgrounds reopened to the public on May 21. Use your own discretion when using these structures. When using a playground or outdoor fitness equipment, please practice social distancing and use your own hand sanitizer when you are done. You may also use your own antibacterial wipes to wipe off any surfaces prior to playing. (May 20, 2020)
The Fargo Park District will open the five outdoor pools for the summer at limited capacity in accordance with the ND Smart Restart Guidelines and local health officials. Davies Recreational Pool, Northside Recreation Pool, and Southwest Recreation Pool open Saturday, June 6, 2020, at 12:30 pm. On Monday, June 8, 2020, Madison Pool & Splash Pad opens at 12:30 pm and Island Park Pool opens at 1:30 pm. (May 27, 2020)
Parks, trails, and green spaces remain open, but the Fargo Park District encourages the public to limit use to responsible ways that protect public health and safety. This includes limited use of basketball courts, tennis courts and ballfields during this time. During park and trail use, follow these recommendations from the National Recreation and Park Association:
- Refrain from using parks, courts, fields or trails if exhibiting symptoms.
- Follow CDC’s guidance on personal hygiene prior to and during use of parks, courts, fields or trails.
- Prepare for limited access to public restrooms or water fountains.
- While on trails, warn other users of presence as you pass and step aside to let others pass.
- Follow CDC guidance on the recommended size of social gatherings including outdoor pick-up sports and other group hangouts, and maintain proper physical distance at all times. If other users are present and it is not possible to keep to less than 10 people, users should find an alternate location or depart that space.
- Observe CDC’s minimum recommended physical distancing of 6 feet from other individuals at all times. If this is not possible, users should find an alternate location or depart that space.
- Modify the activity to meet size and distance recommendations.
Program and Event Cancellations
Fargo Park District is following the recommendations to decrease the gatherings of large groups to minimize exposure. The decision to cancel programs and events is always difficult to make, but we are keeping in line with the recommendations from the experts. As part of our response to COVID-19, the Fargo Park District's current cancellations include:
- Baseball & Tball- M/W Tots & M/W Minor
- Fencing- Session 1 & 2
- German Folk Festival
- Gathering On Tuesdays- June events
- Island Park Show
- Lifeguard Certification- Session 1 & 2
- MS Group
- North Dakota Senior Games
- SNAG Lessons- Sessions 1 & 2
- Spring Swimming Lessons- Sessions1 & 2
- Spring Volleyball Leagues
- Water Safety Instructor- Sessions 1 & 2
- Youth Golf Lessons at Prairiewood Only- Sessions 1 & 2
All events and programs are being evaluated on a case by case basis to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all involved. For cancelled programs, a refund will be automatically generated. For program refund questions, call 701-499-6060.
Fargo Public Golf Courses including Rose Creek, Prairiewood, El Zagal and Osgood Public Golf Courses announce open dates with modified procedures due to COVID-19. Members can purchase their season passes online at FargoGolf.net. Other Fargo Golf announcements include
- Driving Ranges and Practice Facilities Open With COVID-19 Procedures (April 26, 2020)
- Fargo Public Golf Courses Announce COVID-19 Driving Range Procedures and Guidelines (April 24, 2020)
- Fargo Public Golf Courses Open With COVID-19 Procedures (April 20, 2020)
- Fargo Public Golf Courses Announce COVID-19 Check-In Procedures and Physical Distancing Guidelines (April 15, 2020)
General Tips to Limit Exposure
Fargo Parks asks you to do your part to contain the spread of this virus by staying home or keeping your child from attending park district programs and facilities if there have been signs of the flu in your household or if you are not feeling well. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the best way of preventing the disease is to:
- stay home if you are sick
- avoid contact with people who are sick
- avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol if soap and water are not available
- clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces regularly
- cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and throw the tissue in the trash, wash hands immediately
The CDC has posted information on how to prevent the spread of coronavirus in communities. Click here for information and check back often as information is updated.