The Fargo Park District offices are located in the old Northern Pacific Passenger Depot which was built in 1898.
First Board Members were elected October 11, 1910.
First Board Meeting was held on November 1, 1910.
Island Park was the first park in Fargo.
In 1910, the Fargo Park District started with only one park. Fargo’s population was 14,000.
Lindenwood Campground was established in 1921.
Dill Hill got its name from Dill Hall, the building that sat atop the hill built in 1908.
Edgewood Golf Course Opened in 1926: It cost $0.25 for three times around the five hole course.
A 140 foot high ski jump was built in 1935 west of a farm, now Trollwood Park.
In the 1950's the lifeguard staff at Island Park put on an annual water show. They had clown acts, synchronized swimming, diving and dancing.
In 1951, there were 12 parks and nearly fifty years later in 2010 the Park District had 94 parks.
On a Tuesday in July 1956, there was an attendance record set of 4,022 swimmers at Island Park Pool breaking the Monday before record of 3,757.
In 1957, at Lewis and Clark, Washington School, Goldenridge site and Chaney Field the Park District installed ice skating rinks, hockey rinks and playgrounds.
In 1958, admission prices for the Island Park Pool was 10 cents for children under 12 or $4.00 for a season ticket. 12 to 18 year olds were 15 cents or $5.00 for a season ticket. Adults were $0.25 or $7.00 for a season ticket.
November of 1958 the Harry Howland pool was completed.
Construction began in 1964 on a 9 hole golf course at El Zagal. August 1965 the course was opened.
Mickelson Field groundbreaking ceremony was held in May 1965.
First woman elected to the Park Board was in April of 1966. Her name was Gladys Johansen.
In May 1976, ground was broke to start construction for the Prairiewood Golf Course.
In 1978, the Lindenwood bike bridge was installed.
Island Park Pool was once located at the current Scherling Complex Tennis Courts.
A new walking bridge was installed over the Red River in 2013 at Lindenwood Park.
On June 15, 2016, the Fargo Park District reopened a completely renovated El Zagal Public Golf Course after construction on a city levee project.caused the course to be closed for a year. The renovated course boasts a new Pro Shop, open fairways, and became the exclusive course in the region to offer FootGolf. FootGolf is a dynamic combination of soccer and golf which gives people a new and fun alternative to swinging clubs.
Fargo’s smallest park today is Ole Tangen Park with only .076 acres and the largest developed park is Lindenwood with 89.61 acres.
Fargo Park District |
701 Main Ave. Fargo, ND 58103 |
Phone: (701) 499-6060 |
Improving the lifestyle of the community through a comprehensive system of parks and programs.
Our Core Purpose
The Fargo Park District passionately serves our community to make lives better!
Our Core Values
Intentional Leadership, Passion, Sincerity and Solution Engineers.